Friday, August 31, 2007

In With The Old Out with the New

Why do we always find ourselves trying to keep up with the Jones? We always want the latest gadgets or technology. Well, sometimes older traditions and things are far better than we could imagine. Recently, I had the great privilege to take part in an ancient Mayan tradition. I got to visit a chux!

Chrissie & Marissa in the Chux

Let me tell you exactly what a chux is. It is basically a very tiny little mud hut, so tiny that you have to crawl into it. It is set up like a sauna with boards to lay down on. The way it works is that you get naked (don't worry I went in with my swimsuit on) and take in a bunch of freshly picked herbs. Once you get in, it is so dark you can't see your hands in front of your face. There is a pile of rocks with a fire burning beneath it in one corner and two buckets of water. One bucket is warm to throw on the rocks and the other is cold to use later. First, you beat your body with the herbs as you begin to sweat. Then you lay down and relax. Once you are ready to come out, you pour cold water over yourself and exit. It was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life. I felt refreshed and relaxed all at the same time.

If you ever have the opportunity to visit Guatemala, make sure you find the time to check out the chux!

*Enrique

1 comment:

Rob and Becky said...

I can't believe you post nude pictures like that? I don't know whether it's inappropriate, or just cute. wink wink
Rob